Multiple Benefits Of Aloe Vera For Skin
Perhaps the most humble plant in any household, aloe vera, or Aloe barbadensis, is quite popular for its numerous medicinal properties. It is a succulent plant that belongs to the cactus family and has thick and fleshy leaves. These leaves contain the gel of the plant, which provides benefits ranging from relieving body pains to treating eczema. A skincare favourite, aloe vera gel has been in use for thousands of years as it gives the skin long-lasting benefits when applied topically. Skincare enthusiasts swear by it, and dermatologists highly recommend it. But what is it about this gel that makes it stand out? This article focuses on the science behind aloe vera gel and if it is really worth all the hype.
What is inside the Aloe Vera Gel?
The aloe vera plant has thick green leaves with pointed edges. Residing inside the succulent leaves is a gel-like slimy substance known as aloe vera gel. This gel is majorly composed of water. Apart from this, the gel is packed with active ingredients such as antioxidants, around 18 amino acids, enzymes, calcium, magnesium, beta carotene, folic acid and vitamins A, C, E and B12. These ingredients give aloe vera its potency.
The antioxidants inside the gel are immensely beneficial to the skin. Along with other compounds in the gel, they help in stopping the growth of bacteria. Folic acid helps in retaining skin moisture and maintains the skin barrier. Vitamin C, E and beta carotene have anti-ageing and antioxidant properties. This helps in keeping free radical damage at bay.
All these components come together to make the aloe vera gel a highly effective antibacterial, antiviral and antiseptic gel. This gives it the ability to treat skin problems and heal wounds. In addition, aloe vera also contains salicylic acid, making it an excellent exfoliant that is both gentle and efficient.
Benefits of Aloe Vera Gel:
- Natural moisturiser: Its summer and greasy moisturisers are out of the scene. You need something which has a light consistency and does not clog pores. At the same time, your moisturiser should also hold moisture in the skin for hours on end. This is where aloe vera comes into the picture. When applied on the skin, it does not leave a greasy film. It does not clog pores. In fact, it seeps deep within the skin to reach the dermis. There, it replenishes the skin's moisture, making it soft, supple and nourished. It is the ideal summer moisturiser. Summers are the time when your skin is likely to lose more moisture than at any time of the year. Applying aloe vera aids in gaining back the lost moisture and retaining it for long hours.
- Anti-ageing: Aloe vera extract aids in the body's natural increase in collagen formation, which further aids in minimising the appearance of wrinkles and other telltale indications of ageing. Collagen is a protein found in our body that helps keep the skin firm and youthful. Aloe vera’s ability to help in the synthesis of this protein thus enables the skin to keep its elasticity and tightness intact. Apart from collagen production, aloe vera gel helps in combating free radicals, which cause fine lines and wrinkles. They do so due to the amino acids, vitamins B1, B3, B6 and C present in it. Another aspect of wrinkle formation is overexposure to harmful UV rays of the sun. UVA and UVB rays penetrate deep within the skin and cause sunburns, premature ageing and even skin cancer. Aloe vera acts as a natural sunscreen and protects against the damage caused by these rays. It is also highly effective in areas where the skin has suffered sunburn and itching. Its calming and cooling sensation reduces inflammation caused by burns and restores the skin’s firmness and smoothness.
- Bye-bye acne: Acne can be caused due to many reasons – hormones, medication, clogged pores, unhealthy eating habits and stress, among others. The topical application of aloe vera on acne-affected skin can help mitigate it severalfold. What makes aloe vera a potent acne extinguisher is the presence of salicylic acid in it. This active ingredient is famous for its acne-treating ability. Salicylic acid unclogs dirt-ridden pores and calms inflamed skin. It acts as an exfoliant and removes dead skin cells which is another causative factor for acne. The antibacterial properties of aloe vera help in mitigating infection, swelling, and redness. This also helps in decreasing the chances of future breakouts, making your skin squeaky clean and acne-free.
- Treats skin spots: Hyperpigmentation is a skin condition where some parts of your skin appear darker than others. Excess melanin deposition is primarily responsible for the uneven pigmentation of the skin. This happens due to previous acne breakouts that can leave stubborn marks on the skin. Another causative factor of melanin deposition is over-exposure to sunlight. These pigmentation marks are deeply seated in your dermis and can be difficult to get rid of. One way to treat hyperpigmentation is by applying aloe vera. The aloesin and aloin contained in the aloe vera gel have lightening properties. They work on hyperpigmentation by acting on melanin cells. Aloe vera also helps in controlling the secretion of melanin pigment, thereby further helping in lightening the skin.
How to use aloe vera in your skincare routine?
We get it, life gets busy. Applying aloe vera straight from the plant is something only a few of us get the time to do. This is where over-the-counter (OTC) aloe vera comes to the rescue. Aloe vera products that you can use on the go make it easy for you to incorporate this powerful natural ingredient into your skincare routine.
Kzen understands the need to include aloe vera in your skincare and makes it convenient to do so by providing you with a host of products that bring you the goodness of aloe vera. Mentioned below are some of Kzen’s most powerful products that harness the power of aloe vera gel.
- Ageless face serum: This serum is helpful in keeping the face youthful, plump and radiant for years to come. It contains not just aloe vera but many helpful ingredients such as hyaluronic acid, vitamin C and glycerin. The Ageless Serum's active components aid in eradicating age-related discolouration and fine wrinkles, giving the skin a more youthful appearance. A potent humectant, hyaluronic acid increases skin moisture content, minimises the look of fine wrinkles, and makes the skin appear smooth and plump. Consider hyaluronic acid as the skin's essential water drink. Moreover, hyaluronic acid shields the skin's lipid barrier, enhancing the skin's ability to protect itself from contaminants and ageing-related environmental stressors. For the majority of skin types, vitamin C is typically the safest ingredient in cosmetics. It is an antioxidant that reduces hyperpigmentation, brightens the skin, and protects it from UV rays. Glycerin helps in keeping the skin hydrated. Finally, aloe vera in the serum provides a boost of nourishment and soothes irritated skin. On a clean face and neck, apply a few drops of the serum evenly. Avoid the areas around your eyes. Give it two minutes to sit. Then, you can put a moisturiser on. You can apply this both in your morning and nighttime skincare routine.
- Bare Glam Gold & Saffron Face Mask: The Bare Glam Gold & Saffron face mask was specially created to give skin age-defying properties and long-lasting beauty. This face mask by Kzen firms, brightens, lifts, and revitalises your skin. A luxurious face mask, it aids in promoting both anti-ageing and skin-hydrating properties and is enhanced with genuine gold mica. The real gold powder is blended into this exquisitely opulent anti-ageing mask and imparts a radiant glow. It also helps in increasing the skin’s elasticity and enhances the complexion. Saffron is rich in antioxidants and is a natural skin illuminator, which also protects the skin against harmful UV radiation. Aloe vera in the mask further helps in healing the skin and providing a long-lasting glow. It also reduces signs of ageing, making it appear firm and nourished from within.
- Glow Essence: The Glow Essence is ideal for developing the ceramide or lipid protective barrier of the skin. Its main ingredients are aloe vera, 8% niacinamide, hydrolysed rice protein, moringa extract and gold mica. It visibly evens out skin tone and sun damage caused by discolourations, leaving skin beautiful and bright. The essence actively fights acne, minimises the appearance of enlarged pores, delays the onset of ageing, and replenishes moisture. Simply said, it helps to clear and brighten your skin. Niacinamide, often known as Vitamin B3 (niacin), is an incredible skincare treasure that works wonders on all skin types. Our Glow Essence is the simplest method to give your skin a healthy dosage of niacinamide. You've got a winner when you combine it with hydrolysed rice protein's revitalising properties! The advantages of niacinamide for the skin include increasing skin protein synthesis and retaining moisture to shield the skin from external stresses. Aloe vera further locks the skin moisture in. On a clean face and neck, apply a few drops evenly. Give it two minutes to sit. Apply sunscreen and moisturiser afterwards and embrace your beautiful skin as a result.
- Firm Skin Body Lotion: Our body's skin is frequently disregarded, despite the fact that it needs a lot of attention. Firm Skin Lotion stimulates skin cells to bring about health and suppleness in the epidermal and dermal tissues, plumping the skin and getting rid of wrinkles. Its main ingredients are aloe vera gel, nutmeg oil, clove oil, sunflower oil, and glycerine. It tightens skin to keep it looking young thanks to the clove and nutmeg oils in it. Moreover, the lotion deeply hydrates, nourishes and softens the skin. The use of clove oil lessens skin sagging and delays the development of wrinkles and fine lines. It has potent anti-ageing properties. It exfoliates dead skin cells and promotes blood flow, both of which contribute to skin that appears young and beautiful and provides an even skin tone as well. Renowned for its excellent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory compounds, nutmeg essential oil is a remedy for many skin concerns, from acne, dark spots and uneven skin tone to dryness. This natural extract visibly diminishes wrinkles, scars, and roughness to reveal youthful, unblemished and radiant skin.
Kzen believes in clean skincare that is derived naturally, without harming the environment. Therefore, we produce vegan and cruelty-free products with no added fragrances. They are non-comedogenic, paraben free and sulphate-free. Honing the power of aloe vera gel, Kzen creates the perfect aloe skincare routine for you.