Effects of Hydrolysed Rice Protein on Skin
From being an agricultural crop to being used in many Hindu rituals, rice has influenced not just Indians but the whole of South Asia. But rice is not just beneficial for your body and spirit. This humble grain is jam packed with beneficial vitamins, minerals and oils that immensely improve the health of skin and hair. It is gluten-free, so people with very sensitive skin can also use rice derived skin care products with confidence. Gluten-free ingredients are rich in antioxidants and help in regenerating new cells. They are also anti-inflammatory and help control skin conditions such as eczema and psoriasis.
Rice comes with the goodness of amino acids, ferulic acid, Vitamin E, starch and allantoin. These substances are particularly beneficial for maintaining the health of skin and hair. Rice protein fares better than other vegetable protein. This is due to the fact that the substances present in it get absorbed into the body more easily. However, when used directly on the skin, even these substances find it hard to penetrate. This is where a process called hydrolysis comes into the picture.
Hydrolysis is the chemical process that is used to break down protein into amino acids for easy absorption. This process is applied to rice bran protein to make it water-soluble, and it is then called hydrolysed rice protein or rice peptides. These peptides are in fact small proteins that benefit the skin in a number of ways.
Hydrolysed rice protein has a thin and watery texture and has a pH somewhere in between 4.0 and 6.0. It is used in many skincare formulations due to its many benefits. One of the most essential benefits of hydrolysed rice protein is that it increases the skin’s ability to absorb and retain moisture. It also benefits the hair by increasing its elasticity and tensile strength.
It provides the following skin benefits, making it the ideal skincare ingredient across ages and skin types.
- Decreases skin irritation: Hydrolysed rice protein has calming and soothing properties due to its ingredients. It helps in reducing the itchiness of the skin.
- Protects from UV damage: rice peptides promote protection against the harmful UV rays of the sun. They end up protecting the thin layer of skin from sun damage and photoaging.
- Decreases signs of ageing: Hydrolysed rice protein stimulates the synthesis of collagen in fibroblast cells of the skin. Collagen is a protein that keeps the skin firm, plump and gives it its elasticity. Thus, the application of rice protein on the skin leads to boosting collagen, thereby tightening the skin and keeping wrinkles and fine lines at bay.
- Boosts hydration: Rice extract is excellent for helping the skin bind with moisture. This results in skin developing great flexibility and elasticity. Since it helps in retaining moisture, skin becomes hydrated and its tensile strength also increases.
- Diminishes spots: When the skin develops abnormal coloration in the form of dark patches or spots due to many factors including UV exposure and acne, the condition is called hyperpigmentation. The spots get their colour from a pigment called melanin which is in turn released by the abnormal secretion of enzyme tyrosinase. Rice peptides actively help in countering hyperpigmentation by controlling the release of this enzyme, thereby mitigating excess melanin production and deposition in the skin.
- Soothes itchy skin: being an anti-irritant, hydrolysed rice protein is excellent for people with skin conditions wherein their skin feels dry, itchy, flaky or scaly skin. This is due to its ability to retain moisture in the skin.
- Protects the skin: rice peptides are helpful in increasing the synthesis of ceramides. These are small lipids that give the skin a barrier to aid in retaining moisture that can be lost due to harsh environmental elements, for instance, harmful UV radiations. Thus, hydrolysed rice protein ends up not just hydrating the skin, but protecting it as well.
- Improves skin texture: Melanin, which is produced by secretion of enzyme tyrosinase, is a pigment responsible for skin colouration. Since hydrolysed rice protein helps in controlling melanin production by decreasing tyrosinase production, the skin becomes lighter and the texture improves. After a few applications, you get a calmer and even-toned skin.
- Exfoliates the skin: desquamation is a process in which dead skin cells are shed from the outer layer of the skin. Hydrolysed rice protein can help in boosting this process, thereby exfoliating the skin. This results in skin looking smoother and helps in controlling acne as well.
Hydrolysed rice protein proves to be an allrounder when it comes to maintaining healthy skin. The presence of Vitamin E further makes it the ideal choice for incorporating it in skincare products.
The many benefits of Vitamin E are as follows.
Moisturizes skin: When applied topically, Vitamin E has been found to provide hydration to the skin. Its fat-soluble property makes it restore the moisture and keep dryness at bay. It has antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties that are capable of treating dry skin conditions such as psoriasis and dermatitis.
Nourishes skin: It boosts the blood supply to the epidermis. This leads to nourishment reaching the skin and in turn making it healthy and supple.
Lightens skin: Vitamin E is beneficial in combating melanin deposition in the skin. This leads to even toned and lighter skin texture.
Tightens skin: the antioxidants in Vitamin E help boost blood supply to the skin. This property helps in slowing down the process of ageing. It is especially helpful in treating wrinkles around the eyes.
Lightens dark circles: due to its antioxidant and moisturising properties, Vitamin E acts as an excellent ingredient for diminishing the appearance of dark circles.
Cleanses skin: the impurities which may get trapped in the pores of the skin such as dirt and dead skin can lead to acne. Vitamin E acts as an excellent cleanser by unclogging the pores.
People with all skin types can use hydrolysed rice protein and benefit from it. Even sensitive skin soaks it up like a dry sponge and benefits immensely from it. Hydrolysed rice protein can also be used on acne prone skin without any risk of further breakouts.
If you’re looking for products that contain hydrolysed rice protein, then look no further. Kzen brings you a concoction of fine ingredients in the form of our Glow Essence. It embodies the goodness of niacinamide, moringa, gold mica and, you guessed it, hydrolysed rice protein.
You must now be aware of how hydrolysed rice protein can help you achieve your skincare goals. Let us look at the other hero ingredients and understand their benefits too.
Niacinamide: This nutrient helps in keeping the skin firm and reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. It aids in retaining moisture. It reduces the pore size which is beneficial to people who have large pores. It decreases skin inflammation, redness and soothes acne-ridden skin. Niacinamide is also helpful in regulating the production of excessive oil, thereby helping with acne. It is capable of rebuilding new skin cells while providing protection against harmful UV rays. It is helpful in treating hyperpigmentation by boosting collagen production.
Moringa: The oil of moringa is beneficial for lightening dark spots, scars, blackheads and heals the skin quickly. Its antiseptic and antimicrobial properties help in purifying the skin and thereby combating acne. This helps in adding natural glow to the skin. It has anti-aging properties due to its antioxidant properties. It curbs the activity of free radicals and slows the process of ageing. It contains Vitamin C which helps in controlling collagen synthesis. This in turn aids in tightening the skin and reducing the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines. The antioxidants in moringa also aid in protecting your skin from the harmful ultraviolet rays of the sun.
Gold Mica: This natural mineral is non-irritating and skin-friendly. It helps in soothing the skin. It is used in skincare products due to its illuminating and brightening properties. It gives the skin a natural glowy shimmer. It helps the skin look smoother and softer. It does not clog the pores at all. It activates the basal cells of the skin which increases the elasticity of the skin. Thus, it helps in diminishing fine lines and wrinkles. Gold also has the ability to fight bacteria off the surface of skin, keeping it healthy and squeaky clean. Using gold mica is the natural way of achieving a golden bright face that most people dream of.
Use our Glow essence as follows:
Clean your face and neck thoroughly. Take a few drops of Glow Essence and dab evenly. Avoid using it near the eyes. Let it stay for 2 mins. After that, apply a moisturiser and an SPF. Use it in the morning and before you go to sleep.
Let Kzen be your only answer to natural skincare. Kzen uses zero chemicals, parabens and sulphates. We are also strongly against using artificial fragrance and comedogenic additions because we believe in the purity and effectiveness of our products. Made with love, our products are made cruelty free and are absolutely vegan.